RJ Hervey is a master graphic design artist, surfer and business entrepreneur with 20 years of experience working in the fashion industry.
RJ Hervey is a master graphic design artist, surfer and business entrepreneur with 20 years of experience working in the fashion industry. Inspired by monster themes, hot rod cars and his love for surfing, punk rock and extreme sports, RJ founded Sedohr Clothing in 2013.
After graduating from the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandise in LA in 2001, RJ worked as a skate board builder for Universal Studios. Animated by Universal’s themes and graphics on skate decks, he then turned to graphic design freelance work for top surf clothing companies. While he watched these brands grow exponentially he invested equity in his steady work with action sports brand SMP. He watched the likes of Pearl Jam, Tommy Lee and Motley Crue take to his designs and later decided to start his own venture, Sedohr Clothing.
RJ’s art ranges in mediums; graffiti, canvas, black and white, but rarely changes inspiration. He’s authored his art “Rhodes” (which is his middle name). Not wanting to cross over his artist title, he began authoring his graphics for his line “SEDOHR” which is ‘Rhodes’ spelled backwards.
Aside from his venture with Sedohr, RJ topped the Tandem Surfing World Championships in 2017 with a 5th place win and continues his career in professional surfing as the Top Competitor in the men’s longboarding division in the California Coalition of Surfing. RJ is also the Vice President of the Doheny Longboarding Club, designing many of the graphics for the club and its non-profit outreach.
He is currently based out of his home town in San Juan Capistrano designing and waiting on the next swell.
- Birth: 10/23/1976
- Home: San Juan Capistrano
- Local Break: Sano, Lake Naciemento
- Favorite spot: Pavones Costa Rica
- Stance: Goofy
- Boards: Iron Cross
- Sponsors: Iron Cross, Sedohr
- First Board: 5’8 Infinity, 9’0 Ellis
- Started Surfing: 11 years old
- Started Competing: When I was a grom
- School: FIDM
- Sounds: Anything I can shake my head too
- Favorite Flick: Other Guys
- Favorite Food: Mexican
- Near Death Experience:
- Travels: Not everywhere yet
- Future Plans: Family, and continue being a waterman
- Guiding Lights: Family, my dogs
- Surfing Influences: My Dad, Nate VanSchaack, Taylor Jensen, Bonga Perkins
- Other Interests: Hotrods, Wake boarding, Wake Skating, Skate boarding, SUP
- Favorite Maneuver: Airs and getting barreled
- Favorite Quote: “An eye for an eye will leave the world blind”
- Favorite Monster: Frankenstein